Quorn Ukelele Orchestra meets every Thursday evening 7.00 to 8.30 pm in the Baptist Church Hall, Meeting Street, Quorn. New strummers of any standard are always welcome, indeed absolute beginners are offered a free one-hour introductory lesson. All members pay a small weekly charge to cover the cost of hiring the room.
In line with our charitable ambitions, the QUO plays for worthy events and good causes. If the event is raising money for a particular charity we are happy to play in support of that charity. If no charity is nominated by the event organisers we ask for a donation/collection in support of our nominated charities.
All enquiries please by email to the Bob Parks Orchestra Secretary (see below).
We play music from all eras over the last 100 years and in lots of styles including pop, folk, country and traditional. We try very much to reflect the preferences of the members and everyone has the opportunity to introduce the kind of music they enjoy.
Our repertoire includes songs of varying degrees of complexity, some very simple and some more challenging. Our hope is that all members will progress and improve as players and feel that they can make at least some contribution to every song.
We provide all the music you need as downloadable pdf files. We also provide all members with a completeprinted Songbook of 125 songs and medleys. Some members choose to play directly from a tablet
We communicate by email- updates to songs, news of gigs, minutes of committee meetings, changes of plan all come by email.
Fancy joining us? A recent newcomer wrote: “What a boiling cauldron of music and singing it was tonight. We never expected it to be such a seething frantic pulsating outpouring of bursting at the seams music. It was tremendous fun.”
You can download an an application form here QUO Membership Form
Taking a break at the ‘Blackies’.
- On 24th November we performed at the Blacksmiths Arms, Quorn as part of the pub’s fundraising efforts for Dementia UK. Amidst the coffee and cake we performed three sets of modern popular music. The total raised was £610 and we are proud to have been part of that effort.
- On Tuesday 18th December we gave an afternoon concert of carols and Christmas music to QUOFS at the Old School, Quorn.
- On Thursday, 20th December we performed at the Orchards Care Home and later the same evening at Quorn Baptist Church. Both concerts were enjoyed and well received by the audiences
- On Thursday, 7th February we performed in Abbeyfield Care Home.
- On Wednesday, 13th February we returned to the Orchards Care Home for a lunchtime concert for the residents.
- The next practice night is Thursday 21st March at 7.00 in the Baptist Church Hall, Meeting Street, Quorn.